Love your tights for longer – our care guide
We don’t believe in replacing tights after every wear. There’s enough throwaway fashion in the world and we’re not up for being part of it.
We work hard to craft the best quality tights possible but, as with any of life’s finer things, they need a little TLC too.
It turns out, size does matter
We don’t mean to point out the obvious, but getting the size right (of your tights, stay with us here) makes a huge difference – too small and they can get overstretched, too big and they won’t support you like they should and will need constant adjusting. To avoid this you can do one of the following:
- Use the size guide on the product page or view it here.
- If you need some more reassurance or advice, reach out to our Customer Love team, they’re always happy to help.
The art of putting your tights on
Yes, the art. Who knew? Compose as follows:
- Remove all jewellery before you begin.
- Make sure fingernails and toenails are nice and smooth to avoid snags and catches.
- Try to roll your tights up rather than yank them on – top tip: pretend you have wet nail polish on your fingers.
- If you need to adjust the waistband once they’re on, don’t yank it up either, adjust the legs first so you don’t overstretch the tights.
- Make sure your legs are not still wet from the shower when putting tights on – dry legs mean they’ll glide up.
- Be aware of other fabrics you’re wearing – leather, denim and sequins (although fun) are not friendly to tights.
- Dry hands can also be damaging – yes, we realise that moisturising just for the sake of your tights might be OTT but they’ll love you for it.
- Wear socks over the top of your tights if your shoes aren’t smooth on the inside or have zips, this will help protect your tights and avoid any holes that toes can peep through.
Give them the penthouse
Where you house your tights actually makes a difference. A few pointers on your tights version of 5-star accommodation:
- Laundry basket - beware of anything sharp in your laundry basket. You could be the greatest artist at putting on your tights, but then ruin your masterpiece by missing a rogue sequined garment in the laundry bin.
- Drawer/wardrobe - even if you’re not usually the organised type, it may be the time to dedicate a specific space to your tights. It’ll avoid any chance of them getting ruined and it might even make you earlier for work if you know where to find them. If you can, use the recyclable box they came in or upgrade to one of our satin pouches.
- If they get caught - use your neglected spy skills, don’t just try to pull them away in a panic. Investigate! See what they’re caught on and figure out how to carefully remove them.
- If there’s a snag - Gently pull on both sides of the snag and make it magically disappear – at worst, it’ll avoid getting any bigger.
Washing, it’s like a spa day
Chuck them in the machine and go kind of person? We get it, but it pays (literally) to stick to some basic washing techniques. This is how to wash tights:
- Hand wash or wash on 30C in a Guppyfriend bag
- Wash with similar colours
- Do not tumble dry or dry on direct heat – it can cause the yarn to become brittle
- Make sure you’re not washing alongside anything with zips, hooks, sequins etc to avoid catches.
Enjoy (with some caution)
Go do you in your tights, just remember to know thy enemy:
- Wooden chairs and tables
- Sequins (yes, this makes us sad too)
- Anyone who’s jealous of your new tights
And if you fancy showing us the wonders that some TLC for your tights can do, tag us using @hedoineofficial
Better Tights This Way >